No more pencils,
No more books
No more teacher’s dirty looks…
School’s out for summer!
Indeed, most children in the country are now celebrating summer break. Parents are all too excited to turn off their alarm clocks. Families are looking for idyllic days in various summer destinations.
While we all look forward to this much-needed break, it is important to be aware of a phenomenon called “summer learning loss” or the “summer slide.” Research studies have shown that children can lose one to three months of learning during the summer months.
Lest you think that we are telling you to enroll your kids in every class available during the summer, beating the summer slide is easier than we think — just let them read!
Encouraging our children to read for pleasure over the summer will go a long way. Here’s how we can do it:
- Let them savor a book for the sake of enjoying a good story, without the pressure of being quizzed or having to make a book report.
- Read aloud to your children for at least 20 minutes a day. This is our favorite tip from author Rosemary Wells.
- Challenge them to read books that are a step beyond their current reading level.
- Listen to audio books of the great classics.
- Use this list from MENSA to guide you in choosing summer books for your children. The books in our shop are also carefully pre-chosen to delight readers of all ages. Just use the filter on the side!
Beat the summer slide
Because we want to help make sure that your children beat the summer slide, we are offering a 10% discount in all book purchases for the month of April! Just input the coupon code beattheslide upon checkout. Don’t let learning stop when summer begins. After all, as we homeschoolers always say, the world is our classroom.
Click here to visit the shop!