Get these two books about adorable dogs Si Botbot and Si Jack and help your kids learn to read and speak Filipino better. Our kids loved these dogs and were very willing to listen to their stories.
Here are some ideas to help your child with Filipino:
- Read aloud a sentence at a time. Explain words that seem difficult.
- Ask for a narration (“What happened? Ano nangyari? Tell me what that’s all about.” etc.) in the language he’s most comfortable using.
- Read longer parts when you think your child comprehends what you’re reading. Don’t forget to ask for a narration!
- As you progress with the books (start with Si Botbot), ask for narrations in Filipino even if you have to supply most of the words!
- You can also ask for two narrations: first in the language he’s comfortable with, then in Filipino.
- For exams (official or otherwise), write some multiple choice questions in Filipino in vocabulary and comprehension.
Hope this helps!